Hello! I hope you have been having a good week. This week I will be talking about ice skating!

What is ice skating?

Ice skating is where you use a pair of skates and you use it to move around in the ice rink.

What are the different types of skates?

There are the rental skates:

The rental skates are the ones that are provided at the rink if you don’t have one. It is used by most people who are just beginning. It is because the blade on the bottom is straight, which is, in my opinion, easier to balance. The toepick is a little higher than the figure skates that people buy. I think it is because they don’t want people to trip over the toepick on their first time! Most people use these skates when they know how to skate but don’t go often, just beginning skating, or they like this type of skate rather than the other ones.

There are the hockey skates (rental): (I don’t know much about the hockey skates since I don’t use them, but I do have some knowledge on it!)

The hockey skates are different from the figure skate style because the blade is rounded, more padded, and doesn’t have a toe pick. It is used by people who prefer speed and fast tricks rather than the figure skating tricks. It has a more guarded padding in the front. It is because the hockey skates allow people to go very fast and so it need a lot of support on the ankle and front to help the person skating go. The hockey skates allow speed and more snow to be made when stopping, it is easier to do very fast tricks on it, and it allows, even more, sharper turns to be made. It is typically used by people who like speed and has experience with skating.

Adam Fagen via Compfight

Bobby Orr's hockey skates

There are also the speed skates. (Sorry, I don’t know much about this skate either. Only basic facts!)

The speed skates are made completely different from the other three skates I just mentioned. The speed skates have a boot that is shorter than the others. It has a longer blade to make fast turns and better speed. This skate is made for speed. It can make the turns better since it is made to race.

There are the figure skates:

The figure skates are bought by people who spend a lot of time at the rink or has a lot of experience with it. The skates have the toepick closer to the ground than the rental. How you tie the laces are a little bit different from when you use the rental. The skates are a little bit lighter than the rental. It is more fitted to you. That is because the skates when you first get them it will be stiff, but it will “break” over time as you use it so it will be more fitted to you if only you use it.

2013 Silver Skate Festival Sangudo via Compfight

What is the difference between the different ice skating “styles”? (For example,hockey,figure,etc.)

Hockey is more of a team sport. That is because they work together to make goals.

Speed skating is more of like track in a sort. Like skating across distances and marathons.

Figure skating is a singular person skating to music and dancing to it. They are usually by themselves.

Pair skating is usually a boy and a girl dancing on the ice together. They do it together.

Synchronised skating is a group of skaters that do a dance together in sync.

There are many other sports in skating.

Here are some websites for more information:

Wikipedia for Ice Skating History, equipment, and much more!

Encyclopedia of the History of Ice Skating

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions comment about it and I will try to answer them.